Review: Bluebird Gold

Book Review: Bluebird Gold, by Devney Perry, 2 stars


 

Living in Dalton, Montana, was not what I had planned for this winter. But after my father’s sudden death, I uprooted my life to move into his tiny lakeside cabin and settle his estate. My friends tell me to sell his place and move on. But this winter is my chance to say goodbye. To remember a man who’d loved tales of Montana lore.

Taking a temporary teaching job seemed like the perfect way to keep myself busy on lonely days. Cleaning out the cabin should have been simple. Except the more I learn about my father’s life, the more questions I have about his death.

The last thing I need is a crush on Sheriff Cosi Raynes. Not only is his son my student, but his life is rooted in Montana, while mine is headed…anywhere else.

Yet as I uncover a trail of strange clues Dad left behind about a lost legend of Montana gold, staying away from Cosi is not an option. Neither is denying the attraction between us. And my winter of healing becomes a race for answers.

I came to Montana to bury the past. Now I’m falling for the man who might just be my future. And either I’ll solve this mystery, or the person in Dalton determined to hide the truth will make sure I die trying.


Genre: contemporary romance 

Publication date: December 2025

Mature content: yes

Review: Let me start by saying that until now I absolutely loved almost all the books I read by Devney Perry - both the contemporary and the fantasy ones. Bluebird Gold, however, didn't work for me.

I went into it hoping for an emotional, addictive romance, but I struggled to connect with both the story and the characters. The pacing felt slow in places, and the romance never fully pulled me in or gave me the emotional payoff I was waiting for. It felt like reading one of the old, outdated Nora Roberts or Sandra Brown romances - too many stereotypes, too much instant love (really, did Ilsa need to gush on how Cosi is so handsome every single time she sees him?), too little character development and not enough suspense.

There were still moments I enjoyed, and I can see why other readers might love it, especially if they connect more with the characters and their relationship. For me, though, it just didn’t leave much of an impression, and I found myself having to push through to finish.

Happy readings otherwise!

The Book Worm, book blog

This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.


Start the series with
book 1

Comments