Review: Things I Wanted to Say

Book Review: Things I Wanted to Say, by Monica Murphy, 1 star


 

Whit Lancaster burst into my life like a storm. Dark and thunderous, furious and fierce. Cold, heartless, and devastatingly beautiful, like the statues in our prep school gardens. The school with his family name on the sign. He can do no wrong here. This is his domain.

He’s a menace on campus. Adored and feared. Hated and respected. His taunting words carve into my skin, shredding me to ribbons. Yet his intense gaze scorches my blood, fills me with a longing I don’t understand.

When he comes to my rescue one night, he ends up broken. Bleeding. My instincts scream to leave and let him suffer, but I can’t. I sneak him into my room. Clean him up. Fall for his lies. Let him possess every single part of me until I’m the one left a gasping, broken mess.

Then he leaves me alone in the dead of night, taking my journal with him.

Now he knows all my secrets. My hate. My truth. And he promises to use my words against me. I’ll be ruined if my darkest secret gets out.

That’s when I strike a bargain with the devil.

I’ll let Whit Lancaster ruin me behind closed doors instead.


Genre: fantasy

Publication date: July 2021

Mature content: yes

Review: Things I Wanted to Say was a disappointing read. The writing feels repetitive, especially the dialogue, with the same thoughts and conversations circling back again and again without adding much depth or moving the story forward.

The characters are built around familiar stereotypes rather than feeling like real people, making it difficult to become invested in their relationship or the conflicts they face. There was plenty of potential here, but it never developed into anything more substantial.

The biggest issue, however, is the pacing. The actual plot could easily have been told in ten pages. Instead, the majority of the book is filled with repetitive, explicit sex scenes that quickly become monotonous and take the place of meaningful character development or storytelling.

If you're looking for a romance with a compelling plot and well-developed characters, this one may not be the best choice. It certainly didn't work for me and I will not be looking at any of the other books in this Lancaster Prep series any time soon.
 
Happy readings otherwise!

The Book Worm, book blog

This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

See it on Amazon

Comments