Review: Light Wielder

Book Review: Light Wielder, by Rachel Schneider, 1 star


 

Oaths were made. Magic was stolen. War is raging.

Can love endure that which it was born to destroy?

It has been four years since the rebellion started. War is raging. Now known as the fierce Light Wielder, Jovie must use her power to end the war between her once beloved communities - or burn them to the ground trying.

As rumours of a new darkness rising begin to rumble, Jovie will need to look to the past for answers. But is she willing to sacrifice her soul - and her heart - to secure her Kingdom's destiny?


Genre: fantasy

Publication date: June 2026

Mature content: yes

Review: I really wanted to like this series, but Light Wielder (which is set about four years after the end of Metal Slinger) was a frustrating read. The plot is confusing, the pacing is all over the place, and the characters don't feel consistent from one moment to the next. It often seems as though the author is taking popular ideas from other fantasy books and mixing them together without creating a coherent story of their own.

At one point, I honestly wondered if Acker was about to turn into a vampire because of how his bloodlust toward Jovie was described. Instead of building tension, moments like that just felt out of place and left me wondering what kind of story I was actually reading.

The first book was already difficult to follow, but unfortunately this sequel is even worse. Rather than answering questions or tightening the narrative, it introduces more elements that make the story feel increasingly disjointed.

The ending clearly sets up at least a third book, seemingly with Messer and Aurora taking over as the main characters. Normally I'd be curious to see where that goes, but after struggling through the first two books, I have no interest in continuing the series. This is one I'll be leaving off my reading list.
 
Happy readings otherwise!

The Book Worm, book blog

This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

See it on Amazon

Comments