Review: Special Forces: The Recruit

Book Review: Special Forces: The Recruit, by Cindy Dees, 3 stars


 ✩✩


Years of intense training have prepared Tessa Wilkes to become a Medusa—part of an elite, women-only Special Forces team. But all the mental prep and physical training in the world can’t prepare her fully to take on one of the world’s most dangerous men. The ultimate operative, Tessa teams with trainer Beau Lambert to track her target, but even if she survives, will her heart?


Genre: military romance

Publication date: May 2019

Mature content: yes

Review: There were several things I liked about The Recruit - especially the most fast paced scenes - but unfortunately the parts I didn't like out weighted the ones I did like.

First, and foremost, the plot mirrors so closely another book by Cindy Dees that it was dejà vu - I'm talking about Beyond the Limit, which I pretty much enjoyed, and that was published a month after this one (or maybe Beyond the Limit is the copy, but in any case they're still way too similar).

There are lots of slow moving parts in The Recruit, so it's not the page turner I expected (and that I'm used to from other Cindy Dees books), and I was seriously irked by the macho speech bout how women should not be part of the Special Forces, not because they are not physically apt, but because they distract men. To this I would say that any man that allows himself to be distracted from his job by a workmate that happens to be a woman is probably not worthy of the job in the first place - but that's just me talking, not the book. 

Anyway, you read that speech once, twice, and chalk it up to character development - after all, you can't like all the characters you meet in books. But any more mention of it after that gets old fast. Now a whole plot constructed over it? No thank you. As I recall, Beyond the Limit had the same problem, but as it was much more fast paced, you kind of got distracted from it quickly. 

Overall not a great book, in my opinion, so I don't actively recommend it.  

The Recruit is book one in the Mission Medusa series, so I'm mildly curious to check out the other books and see if they suffer from the same issues or if they are better than this one. 


Happy readings,


The Book Worm, book blog

Comments