Review: Hooked

Book Review: Hooked, by Elizabeth Hunter, 3 stars

✩✩

Tayla McKinnon is not a small-town girl. The fashion blogger moved to Metlin with two goals in mind: help her friend start a bookstore and have a little fun. A year later, Tayla has made new friends, successfully launched INK, and is ready for a new challenge. Too bad she can't get a certain rock climbing comic book geek off her mind.
Jeremy Allen has been playing the long game with Tayla even though the avid outdoorsman was certain she was the one from the minute he set eyes on her. They might have different tastes, but their chemistry is undeniable.
When a job opportunity from a new fashion start-up lands in her inbox, Tayla takes it as a sign. She's not meant for a small town even though her best friend and her inconvenient crush are trying to convince her otherwise.
Jeremy can't believe Tayla would be willing to leave her new life behind, but maybe he's been playing it too cool. Summer in Metlin can sizzle, which gives Jeremy an excuse to turn up the heat.

Genre: contemporary romance

Publication date: June 2019

Mature content: yes

Review: Knowing this book has been getting raving reviews everywhere, I'm going to run the risk of being the oddball here - but I didn't love it. Elizabeth Hunter is, and always will be, one of my favorite authors, but Hooked just didn't click for me. I can't say it's poorly written, because it's not. But I couldn't connect with either of the main characters, I failed to see their own connection aside from the physical attraction and I think the story is bland. Definitely not what I'm used to from Elizabeth Hunter.

I did like Ink (book one in this series). It took me a while to get into that one, but then it flowed well. I kept waiting for the same to happen with Hooked, but it really didn't.

If you love EH and loved Ink, you may want to give this one a try. Who knows, it may work for you as it apparently did for a lot of other readers. But unfortunately I can't bring myself to actively recommend it.

Happy readings, 


The Book Worm, book blog


Comments