Review: Moonlight on the Thames

Review: Moonlight on the Thames, by Lauren Westwood, 5 stars


 ✩✩


Worlds collide when two strangers meet at Waterloo station. It's a moment they'll never forget.
Nicola is a star at the top of the corporate ladder, but her personal life is a disaster. Her office affair has run its course, and the last thing she wants to think about is Christmas. A night of canceled trains and festive Christmas carols at Waterloo Station is the last straw...
Dmitri loves conducting his pop-up choir during the festive season, meeting people, and spreading joy and cheer around London. But he carries deep secrets from his past that robbed him of his dream to become a concert pianist.
Can two lonely hearts and souls be unlocked by music and moonlight and will they discover the healing power of love?


Genre: contemporary romance

Publication date: September 2018

Mature content: yes

Review: Moonlight on the Thames is a fascinating, beautifully complex and heartwarming book. If I could, I would have read it in one sitting. I came across it purely by chance and, not having read anything by Lauren Westwood before, I didn't want to expect too much. Well, I was very pleasantly surprised. 

Nicola and Dimitri are both complicated, complex characters. Both have suffered a traumatic event in the past that is preventing them from fully living their present. While I loved Dimitri more than Nicola (probably because she's not a very likable person at the beginning of the book), she's the one I identified more with from a professional perspective. Having worked in the financial world myself for over twenty years now, I too sometimes look back and realize that the somewhere along the way part of the glamour of the job wore off. So I really enjoyed reading about her change of career path and how she became a much happier person because of it.

In addition to Nicola and Dimitri's love story - which is beautiful in itself - Moonlight on the Thames passes on several important messages about forgiveness, second chances and the search for happiness. 

This is one of the best romance novels I've read lately and I definitely want to have a look at Lauren Westwood's other books. Totally recommended!


Happy readings,


The Book Worm, book blog


Comments