Review: Blood and Sand



 ✩✩


Dead women are showing up in the Mojave Desert, but water vampire and feared enforcer, Baojia, is stuck entertaining the rich and clueless at a club in San Diego. He's taken exile with all the grace he could muster, but patience with his sire is starting to thin.
When a story about dead women in the desert comes to the attention of reporter Natalie Ellis, she can't help but pay attention. Are these women the victims of a serial killer, or something even more insidious?
Sparks fly when mortal and immortal are thrown together. Pursuing the truth could cost Baojia everything, including the mortal woman who has earned his grudging respect.


Genre: paranormal

Publication date: May 2013

Mature content: yes

Review: Blood and Sand is book two in Elizabeth Hunter's Elemental World series and one of the few books I still hadn't read by the author.

To be honest, I'm a bit on the fence about it. There were parts I enjoyed immensely, and there were others I found not so good. I loved Baojia and Natalie from the other books, and I expected to feel a stronger connection between them from the beginning. The connection may be there - we are told numerous times throughout the story that it exists - but somehow I failed to actually feel it, except much closer to the end.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a very well written book and if you love the genre, I recommend it - but I don't think it's Elizabeth Hunter's best. Hence the four stars rating instead of five.


Also, if you want to give Blood and Sand a try, I would advise you to read the Elemental Mysteries series first, otherwise you will be scrambling to understand who all the secondary characters are and also miss the meaning of half of the underlying plot.

Happy readings,


the book worm, book blog


Comments