Review: Highland Flame

Book Review: Highland Flame, by Mary Wine, 4 stars

✩✩

Laird Diocail Gordon has just inherited his uncle's run down castle and rag-tag clan. He knows the sorry sight of the castle would send any woman running, but is determined to find a wife to help return his home to its former glory. 
Widowed lady Jane Stanley is determined to return to England, even if she has to tromp through the Scottish Highlands on foot to get there. Her travels lead her straight into the midst of a troop of dangerous Highland warriors. The mysterious, brawny laird forbids his men to harm her, and the spark between them is immediate. The only way Diocail can keep her safe is to take her home with him, but will the miserable state of his clan douse her newly ignited Highland flame?

Genre: historical romance

Publication date: September 2017

Mature content: yes

Review: I love historical romance, and highland stories always have a special place in my heart, probably because the rough terrain and climate and the hardships of the time usually make for strong willed characters and interesting plots. In that sense, Highland Flame is no exception.

In my opinion, however, there were a few holes in the plot, and they are the reason Highland Flame gets four stars instead of five. First, the writing is a bit repetitive in places and there's too much going back and forth about the marriage - I'll marry you, I won't marry you, I want an annulment, I will go away in the spring, etc.

Second, when Jane is kidnapped there's no indication of how Diocail found her. And if he found her, why didn't he find his one men who were responsible for her disappearance and having a drink just a short distance from where she was? Then she claims she didn't leave of her own free will and Diocail doesn't believe her, so why doesn't she tells him the names of the men responsible? She waits so much time to utter those names I was beginning to think she didn't want the culprits to be brought to justice. I think the suspense part of the book falls short in relation to the rest of the plot.

And finally, I found the sex scenes a bit too graphic. I usually don't have a problem with those details, but consider yourself warned because Highland Flame may not be a book for everyone.

In any case, these are details  - I'm really picky and expect stories to make sense and be 100% consistent. They do not detract from the fact that Highland Flame is still a great book for historical romance lovers, one you will have a hard time putting down.


Highland Flame is book four in the Highland Weddings series and I haven't read any of the previous books. I didn't notice any details missing so I can safely say it can be read as a stand alone. The only indication you do get that Highland Flame is part of a series is the fact that there are a few hints about who the next book will be about, and not the other way around.


Happy readings and happy new year,

the book worm, book blog



Comments