Review: My Wild Highlander

Book Review: My Wild Highlander, by Vonda Sinclair

✩✩


Lady Angelique Drummagan, a half-Scottish, half-French countess, has suffered much pain and betrayal in her past. She wants nothing to do with the sensual Scottish warrior that the king has ordered her to marry because the rogue could never be a faithful husband, but she has little choice in the matter. Dangerous, greedy enemies threaten her from all sides and she’s in dire need of his protection.

Sir Lachlan MacGrath, known as Seducer of the Highlands, possesses a charming wickedness and canny wit which has earned him much popularity. After the king decrees that he wed the fiery hellion, Lachlan discovers there is one woman who can resist him—Angelique. Can he break through her icy façade and melt her heart, or will the dark secrets lurking in her past not only cost them their future together, but their very lives?


Genre: historical romance

Publication date: August 2011

Mature content: yes

Review: When I saw this book recommended on Goodreads, the title almost thew me off because somehow it translated in my mind as one of those older romance novels where the plot is virtually non-existent and there's just one straight path until the happy ending. But in the case of My Wild Highlander, this really doesn't hold true. Instead, I found an interesting storyline with romance, yes, but also enough suspense and intrigue to keep me interested. 

Angelique and Lachlan both make good lead characters, though he's clearly more consistent than she is throughout the book. 

There were a few details that I found a hard to believe, such as Angelique's clear memories of her childhood home when she'd left it at such a young age, and Lachlan's proficiency with languages, as I seriously doubt a 17th century highlander trained to be a warrior (and a second son, with no hopes of inheriting a title) would have received such polished education. Some aspects of the book felt a bit too modern for an historical romance, and the sex scenes could have been way less graphic, and way less frequent. With such a fast paced plot, I really wanted the story to move on, not to be stuck with such long sex scenes. And this is why, while I still recommend this book , I can't bring myself to rate it with five stars. 




There are more books in the Highland Adventure series by Vonda Sinclair (My Wild Highlander is book 2, though it can be perfectly read stand-alone) and I will for sure check them out in the near future.

Happy readings


keepiing it real, craft blog

Comments