Review: Here to Stay


Book Review: Here to Stay, by Kristine Raymond



Sam Mackenzie rode into the town of Hidden Springs looking for a place to belong. He takes a job at Ryan’s Ranch and is immediately attracted to the ranch’s pretty, female, owner.
Kate Ryan is a woman determined to make it on her own. Chafing at the thought of having to hire help, she nonetheless falls for the handsome stranger who answers her ad.
When they meet, sparks fly and they are drawn to each other. But life in 1867 Arizona Territory isn’t easy. When a secret from Kate’s past comes to light, they are each faced with the challenge of making a difficult decision.
Will they turn and run or are they here to stay?




Genre: historical romance

Publishing date: November 2013

 
Mature content: yes

Review: I wanted to like this book, I really did, but I was disappointed from page one. Right from the start I found the writing weak and inconsequential. 

The plot is fairly good and follows a logical path (even if not always entirely realistic), but there is almost no character development. I couldn't connect to either Sam or Kate and other than the physical attraction I also couldn't feel the connection between them. 

In addition, I never really felt I was reading an historical romance. If I hadn't been situated in the 19th century at the beginning of the book, I might have not realized the difference.  

So, all in all, I can't rate Here to Stay with more than two stars. Still, Here to Stay is book one in the Hidden Springs series and maybe in the future I'll give the next books a try to see if I can enjoy them a bit more. 

Happy readings, 

the book worm, book blog




Comments