Review: Wyoming Brave


Book Review: Wyoming Brave, by Diana Palmer




Ren Colter may own an enormous ranch in Wyoming, but he scorns his wealth. He's closed himself off since his fiancée left him months ago, so he's shocked when he allows Meredith Grayling to stay with him. He tells himself it's only to protect the blond beauty from a stalker, but Ren's alpha instincts soon kick in. 
The last thing Merrie wants is a devastatingly handsome man like Ren lurking around her. He's too experienced, too appealing for her already shot nerves. What she needs is just to get away from it all: the man haunting her waking dreams and the one hunting her like an animal. But no woman escapes this Colter cowboy!

Genre: contemporary romance

Publishing date: December 2016

Mature content: yes


Review: I couldn't finish this book and I was very disappointed. It was certainly not what I expected from reading the synopsis. I disliked it from page one, decided to give it a second chance but then just gave up when Ren offered Merrie to pay for sex. 

Ren Colter isn't closed off, he's a jerk with severe anger management issues. He hates his mother because she said something he didn't like a long time ago and he never even talked to her again. He hates his former fiancée because she cheated on him. He hates women, period. And everyone in the book tiptoes around him because he's been through a lot so he's entitled to show his bad temper. Well, I'm sorry but but I'm a firm believer that one's personal issues are not an excuse to be rude and abusive. 

And Merrie, supposedly a victim of abuse her whole life, has some strange reactions I couldn't get past. First, a few lines into the book, she has arrived at a strange house to take refuge there and all she can think is that Ren is devastatingly handsome. And from then it goes on. She hates the man, but she wants to touch his bare chest and paint him with his shirt off. And she's supposedly hiding but hires a limo service to pick her up at the gate when she decides to leave after the confrontation with Ren regarding the above mentioned payment in exchange for sexual services. If you think about it, there's little difference between Ren and her abusive father, so I don't understand how could she even be remotely interested.

Maybe there was a sweet romance in the stars for these two at the end of the book, but if I met a man like Ren, I would be running for the hills myself, no matter what he looked like. 

The background for the story (because a few of the character's have appeared in other Diana Palmer books) was so messy and confusing I failed to grasp most of it too, so I just focused on the present. And unfortunately the present had little to offer.

Maybe it's just me, because there are some raving reviews of Wyoming Brave on Amazon, so please take this review with a grain of salt. But to be honest, the only interesting thing I got from the book (or from what little I read of it) were the insights into ranching life. Those were interesting and, sadly, a bit wasted when put together with the rest of the plot.



the book worm, book blog


Comments